Mathura \ Gokula \ Raval \ Vrindavan \ Govardhana \ Nandagram
 Barsana Dham \ Radha Kund \ Syama Kund \ Map



This is where Sri Krishna Appeared 5000 years ago. His parents Vasudev and Devaki were imprisoned in a cell that was located here. They stayed here until their release was made possible by Lord Krishna after he killed the evil King Kamsa. After the departure of Sri Krishna from this earth to his own abode his great grandson Vrajranabha.


This is a very holy abode of pure devotees past and present. A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj recieved Sannyas initiation from His Divine Grace Kesava Maharaja in 1959. After doing so he carried the lotus feet of his Gurus on his head and took the Lords holy names to every town and village. The disciple of Srila Kesava Maharaj, Srila Narayana Maharaj the current Acharaya of Kesava Gaudiya Math,  laid A.C. Bhativedanta Swami in his Samadhi at the time of entering Nitya-Lila.


This is a bathing ghat on the banks of the Yamuna where Sri Krishna rested after killing King Kamsa.


Sri Krishna Killed Kamsa on the hill called Kamsa-tila. Behind this hill is where Sri Krishna crowned Ugrasena the King of Mathura. Next to this area is where Sri Krishna killed the wrestlers. Ranga bhumi is located across from the post offiice.


This temple is located a short walk from Ranga - bhumi. Here King Kamsa worshipped lord Shiva prior to the wrestling match.



The Dwarkadish Temple, built in 1814, is a popular temple in the center of town. This is the most visited temple in the center of town. This temple is managed by followers of Vallabhacarya. Once you enter this temple from the street, it is fairly interesting architecture and there is a lot of activity inside. It is located in the eastern part of Mathura, not far from the Yamuna river.


This is where Maharaja Ambarish waited for Durvas Muni to return after being chased by the Sudarshana Cakra of lord Vishnu.


Bali Maharaja performed a great sacrifice to gain control of the universe. Lord Vamana Dev begged for three steps of land from King Bali here at this very spot.

DRUVA MAHARAJA  - was instructed by Narada muni in Mathura.

RAVANA  - performed austerities to get mystic powers here at Mathura.


Lord Sri Krishna lived in Gokul until he was 7 years old. His pastimes of stealing butter, and killing of the demons Putana, Trnavarta and Sakatasura  took place in Gokul.

THE HOME OF NANDA MAHARAJA with it's 84 pillars, was built 5000 years ago by Viswakarma,  the architect of the demigods.

UTHAL ( Grinding Mortar) This is where Sri Krishna was tied to the grinding mortar by mother Yasoda.

DAUJI ( Balaram ) 18 km south east of Mathura on the otherside of the river.
In this temple you can see a 6'6" Balaram diety that was installed by Vrajranabha, about 5,000 years ago. This is the largest Deity in Braja. Balaram is black, with huge eyes, and his right hand is raised. In his left hand he is holding a cup of Varuni. He is one of the presiding Deities in Vrindavan. This Deity is the only original presiding Deity left in Vrindavan. This Deity was lost for some time but was found in a Kunda nearby.



This is the location where Srimati Radharani appeared. It is 9 km from Mathura on the oppisite side of the river. King Vrsabanu went to the river for a bath. He saw a golden lotus flower that shone like a million suns inthe middle of the river. In the middle of the lotus flower was little baby Radharani.Lord Brahma Appeared to King Vrsabanu and explained to him that in his former life he and his wife Kirtida,  had performed great austerities to get the consort of Lord Vishnu as their daughter.

King Vrsabanu took Radharani home and found that she was blind. Narada Muni appeared before the king and told him that despite the child's blindness he should go ahead and perform all the birth ceremonies. Nanda Maharaj brought baby Krishna along for the ceremonies. When baby Krishna crawled before Srimati Radharani, she could smell the wonderful aroma of His body, and at that moment she opened her eyes. The first person she saw was her eternal consort, Sri Krishna.

Lotus footprints of Srimati Radharani

Sri Vrindavan Dham

A few popular temples in BrajaBhoomi \ Vrindavan.
Throughout Braja Mandal there are some 5,000 temples.
Map of  Sri Vrindavan Dham


This beautiful temple was established in 1975 by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Mahraja, founer-acarya of the Interational Society for Krishna Consciousness and has now become one of Vrindavan's popular temples and has one of the highest standards of Deity worship and cleanliness. Devotees from around the world can be seen here throughout the year, bringing a truly international flavour to this ancient holy city.



Here, Lord Krishna jumped from a big Kadamba tree into the Yamuna river in order to chastise the Kaliya serpent who was poisoning the water and causing anxiety to the residents of Vrindavan.The kadamba tree that Krishna climbed is still present, even though the Yamuna does not flow here anymore, except during the rainy season when the river floods.


Advaita Acharya discovered the original deity of Madana Mohan (Krishna) at the base of an old vat tree, when he visited Vrindavan. He entrusted the worship of Madana Mohan to his disciple, Purusottama Chaube, who then gave the Deity to Sanatana Goswami. Worshipped along with Madana Mohan are Radharani and Lalita.

This 18m (60 ft) high temple was built in 1580 on a 15m (50 ft) hill next to the Yamuna. Ram Das Kapoor paid to build the temple. One day a ship he owned loaded with merchandise went aground in the Yamuna. He was advised by Sanatana Goswami to pray to Madana Mohan for help. The ship came free and the owner of the ship made a big profit, which he used to build this temple.

The original Madana Mohan Deity was moved from Vrindavan to Jaipur when the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb’s soldiers attacked Vrindavan in 1670. That Deity is now in Karoli, which is southeast of Jaipur in Rajasthan. There is a new Madana Mohan Temple at the bottom of the hill, where the replacement Madana Mohan Deity is now being worshiped. Worship was moved to this new temple because the Muslims contaminated the old temple.

On the side of the temple is the bhajan kutir (meditation place) of Sanatana Goswami. There is also a sweet water well here that Sanatana Goswami used.

At the bottom of the hill, down a side road to the left of the temple, is the samadhi of Sanatana Goswami. On the side of the samadhi are the puspa-samadhis of Candrasekhara Acharya and Tapana Misra, two of Sri Chaitanya’s associates. Behind Sanatana Goswami’s samadhi is a grantha samadhi, which contains some of the original manuscripts of the Goswamis.


This temple was built by the Maharaja of Jaipur, Sawai Madhav, in 1917 after thirty years of hard labour. It is one of Vrindavan's most opulent and grandiose temples. The fine hand carved sandstone is of unparalleled workmanship, the huge pillars that hold up the roof are each carved from one solid rock, and the intricately fashioned marble on the alter is reminiscent of the Mughal period. The Maharaja financed the railway line that connects Vrindavana with Mathura, just for the purpose of hauling the huge pieces of sandstone used in the temple construction. The Deities worshiped here are Sri Sri Radha-Madhava, Ananda-bihari and Hansa-gopala.


Banke-bihari means Krishna, the Supreme Enjoyer. This is one of Vrindavana's most popular temples and famous all over India. It was built in 1864. The Deity of Banke-bihari was discovered in Nidhuvana by Swami Haridasa. A contemporary of the six Gosvamis, Swami Haridasa, known for his devotional bhajanas, was the guru of the famous musician Tansen.

The curtain before the Deities is not left open like at other temples. Every few minutes the curtain is pulled shut and then opened again. The Deities do not get up until 9 am. The temple has mangala-arati only one day a year. Only one day a year can the lotus feet of the Deity be seen, on Akhyaya Tritiya. Darshan is from 10 am to 12.30 pm and from 6 to 9 pm


Vajranabha, the great grandson of Krishna, installed the Siva-linga in this temple. It is said that the big pipal tree here is a kalpa-vriksha tree and will fulfill all desires. This temple is in the Vamsivata area.


Another very popular temple of Vrindavana was founded by  Harivamsa Gosvami, who started the Radha Vallabha sect emphasizing devotion to Radharani. In this temple, there is no Deity of Radharani, but a crown has been placed next to Krishna to signify Her presence. The original temple of Radha Vallabha was destroyed by the Muslims in 1670 and a new temple was built at the side of the old one.


This is the sacred place of the rasa dance and also where Lord Krishna offered service to Srimati Radharani by decorating Her hair with flowers, as well as massaging and painting Her lotus feet. Radha and Krishna would sometimes spend the night here, dancing with the gopis and enjoying various transcendental pastimes. There is also a small temple dedicated to Radha and Krishna's pastimes called Rang Mahal. Near the entrance to this garden is a kunda created by Lord Krishna. He pushed His foot into the ground just to please Lalita devi when she was feeling thirsty and wanted to drink water.


This is one of the most important temples in Vrindavana. The original Deity was hand carved by Rupa Gosvami and given as a gift to his beloved disciple, Jiva Gosvami, who later built a temple here. The Deity now being worshipped is the pratibhu-murti (replica) and is considered nondifferent from the original Deity. Formerly this spot was in the middle of Seva-kunja and it was the bhajana place of Rupa Gosvami. One can have darsana of the sacred govardhana-sila by asking the pujari. Other Deities worshiped here are the Radha-Vrindavan Candra Deities worshipped by Krishna Dasa Kaviraja Goswami, the Radha-Madhava Deities of Jayadeva Goswami, and the Radha-Chalacikana Deities of Bhugarbha Goswami. The original Deities were all moved to Jaipur.

The samadhis of Jiva Goswami, Krishnadasa Kaviraja Goswami, Rupa Goswami and the puspa-samadhi of Bhaktisiddhanta Goswami are here. The bhajan kutirs (meditation place) of Rupa Goswami and Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada are also here.


This is the famous temple of Gopala Bhatta Gosvami. Radharamana means "one who gives pleasure to Radha", and is one of the many names of Lord Krishna. The seva puja of Radharamana was established in 1542, after the Deity self-manifested from a saligram-sila. Also kept in this temple is the wooden sitting place (hoki) and shawl (chaddar) or Lord Chaitanya, that He gave as a gift to Gopala Bhatta Gosvami. There is no deity of Radharani in this temple, but a crown is kept next to Krishna signifying Her presence.


In this temple are the Radha-Krishna Deities of Syamananda Prabhu. Darshan is from 8.30 to 12 am and 5 to 8 pm.


This is one of the oldest Temples of Vrindavana and was completed in 1627. After Emperor Akbar's visit to Vridavana in the year 1570, he gave permission for four temples to be built by the Gaudiya Vaisnavas, which were Madana-mohana, Govindaji, Gopinatha and Jugal Kisore. It is sometimes called the Kesi ghata temple, as it is located next to this ghata.


This is the place where Lord Krishna killed the Kesi demon who appeared in the form of a gigantic horse and then took His bath in this very same ghata. This is also a very famous bathing place in Vrindavana. An arati to Yamuna Devi is held here every evening.


This South Indian style temple was built by the wealthy Seth family of Mathura in the year 1851, and is dedicated to Lord Sri Ranganatha or Rangaji - a form of Lord Vishnu lying down on the Sesa Naga (celestial serpent). This temple has a traditional South Indian gopuram (gateway) and is surrounded by high walls. It is one of Vrindavana's largest temples. Once a year a grand car festival (Ratha Yatra) is held known as Brahmotsava, during the month of Chait (March - April) and will last for 10 days.